August 21, 2014

Thursday Thought

I've always thought of myself as a feminist.  I really believe that anything men could do, women could too; not better but rather equally good.  And it got me thinking if I can really call myself a feminist.  According to google, feminism is a noun which means the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.  Yes, now I'm sure that I'm a feminist but I also realized I'm more than that.  I'm pro-equality.  I stand for the women, the Asians, the African Americans, the LGBTs, and everyone who are oppressed because of who they are.  It's so disappointing that inequality is still an issue nowadays.

A week ago, I was talking to my brother asking him to learn household chores because he's already in the right age to learn how to do these stuff right, and I was baffled when he said he didn't need to learn household chores because he's a man and he believes that men don't do household chores.  I was so pissed at him, I wanted to hit him right then and there but I just composed myself then I told him, his reasoning is crazy wrong and I said we are not living in the 20s.  And if he really believes in that men over women thing, then I shouldn't drive for him, our older sister should not work and I shouldn't study anymore because I'm just gonna marry and be a housewife(not belittling, just stating a fact) eventually, anyway.  I hope he understood my sentiment, and if he did not I will forever try to instill in him that men are not above women.

This topic is something we should all be concerned with.  I know spiritual and cultural beliefs are sometimes at stake, but just try to be open.  That's all I'm asking, wishing and praying for because I think having an open mind is the first step of acceptance.  If everyone understand this equality thing(it's a big deal), I know our world will be a much better place to live in. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment