August 14, 2014

Thursday Thought

"Just once, I would like there to be something special about being the kid stuck in the middle."
-Karen Tayleur, Love Notes From Vinegar House


Parents would disagree with me but I will still put this out; middle child issues(syndrome's too scientific for my own good.) are real.  Whether parents like it or not, sometimes they just can't help but favor a child or two more than the other.  The eldest child has the perks of the first experiences and achievements while the youngest needs protection and is the baby of the family; that left us with the middle kids.

I am the middle child of our family.  I have an elder sister and a younger brother.  I sometimes feel that I'm not needed and I'm actually a disappointment.  My sister graduated college on time and she also acquired MBA while my younger brother can do no wrong because he's still young--still learning the hustle of life, and he's the unico hijo of the family.  On the other hand, I'm the one who strayed.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't stray too far.  I finished a diploma course of Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts but at 23, I still don't have a bachelor's degree and somehow that's kind of a big disappointment by everyone's standards.

I've been reading a lot of stuff about being the middle child, the pros and cons.  I realized, nothing's absolute in life.  There's always a good thing in a bad situation or vice versa.  And after reading those articles, I remembered about a book I've read a year or two ago.  It tackled a bit about being the middle child and I loved the realizations of the character.  The book is called Just Listen, and it's written by Sarah Dessen.  Here are a few quotes that struck me when I read the book, and they're related to my blabber this week. :)


"I am the middle sister.  The one in between.  Not oldest, not youngest, not boldest, not nicest.  I am the shade of gray, the glass half empty or full, depending on your view.  In my life, there has been little that I have done first or better than the one preceding or following me.  Of all of us, though, I am the only one who has been broken."

"I am still the center sister.  But I see it differently now.  There has to be middle.  Without it, nothing can ever truly be whole.  Because it is not just the space between, but also what holds everything together."


                                                                                               Toodles!☺

No comments:

Post a Comment