September 26, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Movie Review

NOTE: All the photos were grabbed from google.com and not my property.

I watched the movie adaptation of The Perks of Being a Wallflower earlier. It was written, directed and co-produced by Stephen Chbosky.

I really cannot tell which is better, the book or the movie because there were a lot of omitted parts from the book. But that fact doesn't necessarily mean that the movie was a mess either, it was good in fact it made me laugh and cry at certain scenes. So I'm just gonna put it like this, the movie was so good, you have to watch it! And the book was really great, you have to read it!☺


As expected, some of the popular quotes from the book were mentioned like: 

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

"Even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from,we can still choose where we go from there."

"You can't just sit there and put everyone's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love."

"I am both happy and sad at the same time, and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."

NOTE: SPOILER COMING UP!


Some of the scenes that were noticeably omitted or changed: 

a. Candace getting pregnant and getting a proper name. - I personally like that they didn't include this one because it will cause a lot of fuss. I personally didn't like Candice's way of solving her 'problem'. Because for me, it isn't a problem in the first place! And the fact that she kind of dragged her younger brother is way beyond me but their sibling relationship in the book really prosper after that incident. And in the book, Charlie's sister doesn't have a proper name, she's just mentioned as his sister. 

b. Charlie visited Bill's place. - I wanted this one to have been part of the film! This is an important part of the book for me because Bill, Mr. Anderson in the movie, told Charlie how special he was! And I kind of don't get it why they used Mr. Anderson instead of Bill. Bill's character for me is as important as Patrick's. Yes, so important I'd prefer emphasizing it in the movie.

c. The bully girl in Charlie's English class. - I cannot remember her. I don't think she's in the book but I kind of get it why they've put her there, maybe to have more empathy to Charlie.(I'm guessing!)

d. The Charlie helping Sam to study scene. - It's not in the book but I like that they've put it in the movie, it kind of brought them closer and their relationship felt more special. I love them together!

There are a lot more small details that had been changed or omitted but it's not for me to tell you everything, but it's for you to notice these things. I really recommend the book and the movie because it's a new concept to read or watch and it's also easy to relate to. And the quotes were really great, I almost wanna tweet the whole book! :p

Before finishing this post with my insight, I would like to commend Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller. They've acted really well! Ezra was really funny when he wants to be and when the emotional part in the park happened, I was really affected. When I first knew that Emma would play Sam's part I was at first hesitant, but after seeing her, she's really an actress now! She's not just Hermione anymore. Lastly, Logan is the perfect Charlie! I swear! He's so good I wanna watch the movie again!☺

After watching the movie, I noticed that Charlie, Sam, and Patrick are three very different people but they understand each other very well. They accept their individuality. And I find their relationships very appealing because in this world we are in, it's so hard to find great people that will have your back no matter what, where, and when. So if you find one or a couple of them, treasure them and don't ever take them for granted.☺ (Yes, as much as I'm a cheesy sucker of love, I also dig friendship.)


A

No comments:

Post a Comment